Cases eligible for paying costs, fines and fees should meet most of the following criteria
- Most District Criminal (CR), Superior Criminal (CRS), District Infractions (IF) and Superior Infractions (IFS) cases that have been tried in court and have monies owed are available for online payment.
- Supervised probation cases must have been convicted on or after January 1, 2011.
- All cases not having supervised probation must have been convicted on or after January 1, 2015.
- Payment may be made online once judgment has been entered in the system. Once you have been to court, please allow 72 hours for judgment to be entered.
- If your case is a citation, has not been tried in court, and does not require a court appearance, you may be able to pay online at payNCticket.org.
Cases currently ineligible for paying costs, fines and fees
- Civil cases (cases with a case type of CVD, CVS or CVM in the file number) are not eligible to be paid online at this time.
- Cases that are pending or on appeal.
- A receipt can be provided if an email address is entered during the online payment process. A receipt can also be printed by using the print button on the receipt page. Otherwise, payments can be confirmed by contacting the Clerk of Court in the county in which the judgment was entered.
Know your file number
- If you do not know your file number, you may get it from the Clerk of Court in the county in which the charge was issued.
- If you pay the wrong case online, contact the Clerk of Court in the county in which the charge was issued.
Resolving credit card issues
- Questions regarding your online credit card payment should be directed to the payment processing customer support center of NIC Inc. (the courts' secured payment vendor) at 1-888-859-6183.
Acceptable credit card types and billing information
- Gift cards or rebate cards are not acceptable methods of payments.
- Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express credit and debit cards issued by a credit card company or bank may be used to pay a case online.
- The name on the credit / debit card does not have to match the name on the case.
County Clerk of Court information
- Our searchable online directory provides location and contact information for county courthouses.
- Online payments can be made 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Portal administration fee
- The portal administration fee is calculated as 2.25% of the court costs and fines due, plus $1.
- Example: If court costs and fines are $240.00, the total amount due will be:
- $240 + (240 * 2.25%) + 1.00 =
- $240 + ($5.40) + $1.00 =
- The customer will be shown all applicable fees prior to completing an online payment. If the customer does not wish to pay the additional portal administration fee, the transaction can be canceled. If the transaction is canceled, the customer will have to mail the payment to the county courthouse or pay in person.
- Supervised probation cases will show a single money line item for partial payment on the receipt.
- Payments on other cases may show differing line items on the bill of costs and the actual receipt. Sometimes single line items on the bill of cost are aggregated on the receipt, but the totals will match.